Recommendations to overcome challenges for implementing E-Health in Bangladesh
Adoption of e-Health is in its nascent stages in Bangladesh. For this reason development of local e-Health solutions, research on adoption, studies on usability should be more important and the following points can be brought under considerations.
- Having a policy in theory is not enough, implementing rules, policies, legal support, national standards are required.
- Most of the physicians and nurses are not familiar with e-Health and the benefits they might bring. There is a need for training for doctors, nurses, even patients concerning the use of e-Health systems, necessary in familiarizing with e-Health and breaking their fears.
- E-Health systems should be easy to use and ease to navigate and need to be customized to meet the specific demand of the patients.
- There is a need to raise awareness of E-Health systems in different public and private hospitals. Government, private organization and NGOs can arrange different types of seminar, symposium, showing short films and broadcasting advertisement in radio and Television.
- Involvement of all stakeholders in e-Health project is compulsory. Without the involvement of user it will not be a successful project.
- Bangladesh should build ICT infrastructure step by step till village level to make the successful implementation of e-Health. Internet connection in village level is very important.
- E- Health standards and interoperability framework for use in the database systems must be developed within short period of time. Final guideline should be prepared as early as possible which describes the standards and interoperability procedures of the Health Information Systems Architecture.
- Security and privacy is the major concerned in all aspect of e-Health in developing countries. There must be specific privacy regulations on the practice of e-Health so that patients can feel secure in the disclosure oftheir personal information. Equipped with RAID servers, firewalls, VMware, underground cable system, automatic fire protection, and humidity control, four tiers of power supply system, antispy and anti-hacking system to prevent unauthorized entry, remote monitoring system, text alerts by mobile phone etc.
Therefore service provider have to build a quality ICT based health service that must be easily and widely available throughout the country.