Soul of Computers
Soul of computers is software. So what is a software?
Software is a collection of computer programs and related data that instructs the computer what to do and how to do it. It is something that we cannot touch. It’s the interpreter between the human and the machine. It’s like a soul that brings life to the hardware.
There are two types of software
- System Software
- Application Software
- System Software operates the computer hardware
- It helps to run various Application Software
Operating system performs tasks like
- Controlling input and output devices
- Managing files and folders
- Running Application Software
- System Software can further be type casted. It consists of Operating System. Examples of Operating System are Windows, Linux, UNIX, Dos are popular Operating System.
Application Software is programs developed to carry out specific task for users. Apps are Application Software designed for tablets and Smartphone.
Types of Application Software
- When Application Software are created especially for a user or organization’s needs than it is known as Customized Software.
Examples: Software could be developed
- To design airplanes or cars
- To let blind people read books
- To maintain employee records in a company
- for educational purpose
General Application Software
- These are software packages created in a way so that many people can use them.
- Microsoft Word for word processing
- Microsoft Excel for accounting
- Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome for browsing the internet
- Picasa to view pictures
- Flash for animation
- These are small programs which maintain computer hardware and software
- Antivirus Software: They protect our computer from viruses. Such as Norton, AVG, McAfee etc.
- Backup programs: these help us to recover data which might have been accidentally deleted.
- Disk-Cleaner Software: it helps us to find unnecessary files in the computer and can delete them when the hard disk is full.
- Compression Software: These software shrink files so that less disk space is occupied, e.g. WinZip, 7z, etc.